PARISH HISTORY PARISH NEWS

Our Parish Heritage, Part 5: 4 decades of change

This is the fifth in a series of articles highlighting the history of our parish leading to its 125th anniversary.  1950-1991 Father William Pizzoglio’s assistant, Father Joseph Berton, became Mount Carmel’s next pastor. Out of his 26 years of service, his most lasting contribution was the construction of the rectory on Jay Street. Despite the […]

PARISH HISTORY PARISH NEWS

Our Parish Heritage, Part 4: Pizzoglio a man of action

This is the fourth in a series of articles highlighting the history of our parish leading to its 125th anniversary. Previous articles and issues of “More Good News” are available at www.mountcarmelblessedsacrament.com. 1934-1950 When Father William Pizzoglio became pastor in 1934, the parish had 2,035 families and 12,700 parishioners. His first endeavor was to conduct […]

PARISH HISTORY PARISH NEWS

Our parish heritage, Part 3: Formia establishes school, convent

(Above: Mount Carmel School Class of 1921, the last class to graduate when Father Joseph Forma was pastor of Mount Carmel.) This is the third in a series of articles highlighting the history of our parish leading to its 125th anniversary. Previous articles and issues of “More Good News” are available at www.mountcarmelblessedsacrament.com. 1903-1933 Father […]

PARISH HISTORY PARISH NEWS

Our parish heritage, Part 2 : Father Castelli builds church from ground up

This is the second in a series of articles highlighting the history of our parish leading up to its 125th anniversary. Read Part 1 here. 1896-1903 With large and small monetary donations, and the sweat of those unable to give a financial contribution, a plot of land stretching from Catherine Street to Jay Street was […]

PARISH HISTORY PARISH NEWS

Our parish heritage, Part 1: Mount Carmel founded nearly 125 years ago.

“More Good News” is highlighting the history of our parish leading to its 125th anniversary. Here is Part One. We mark a significant milestone in 2021 — the 125th year of the birth of our parish. Although the first Mass celebrated in our building was in 1896, we can trace our lineage as far back […]